How to Change Your Name After Marriage in Nebraska

Changing My Name After Marriage

Chapter 25 of the Nebraska legislature governs name changes in Nebraska. This law outlines the multiple means of altering one's first, middle, or last name in the state. Accordingly, state citizens and residents can change their names via marriage, divorce, or court order. Generally, entities who choose to alter their names because of a marriage or divorce can change their names as part of either process. Other legal name change processes in the state must be requested by petitioning the district court of the state court system.

Regardless of the method or process involved, legal documents that serve as proof of name change must be presented when the names are altered successfully. For example, for individuals that changed their legal names through marriage, the legal document of proof is a marriage certificate.

A name change is a significant part of a person's identity. For this reason, the process does not end with obtaining proof of name change. The individual must also ensure to input the new name in any relevant state or federal record. Hence, as simple and straightforward as the name change process may be, the primary issue is completing and updating that information across multiple agencies, such as the Social Security Administration (SSA), Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Internal Revenue Service, passport office, banks, voters registration, etc.

Nebraska marriage records are also held by local repositories or the court clerk in the courthouse where the marriage license was issued.

How to Change Your Name After Marriage in Nebraska

Altering names via marriages is one of the most common methods to change one's identity in Nebraska and the country in general. Usually, this process begins before the couple ties the knot. Although it involves presenting multiple documents and forms, the marriage license is the essential tool here.

Obtaining a marriage license

The couple can visit the county clerk's office in the county where the marriage ceremony will occur to obtain a marriage license. To save time, they may contact the office about the forms they must download, print, and fill. This process might vary slightly from county to county, and so can the applicable forms. The marriage license application simply needs to indicate the individual's desire to alter their name.

In addition to these forms, the spouses must visit the clerk's office with documents that prove age and identity. These include certified copies of birth certificates, driver's licenses, and passports. Afterward, the license application must be submitted, and the relevant fees paid, seven to thirty days before the wedding date. The cost for a Nebraska marriage license is $25.

After the marriage license has been provided by the clerk and signed by the marriage officiant, the couple must submit it to the clerk after the wedding ceremony. With this, the clerk will prepare the couple's marriage certificate, the official legal name change document.

How to Update Your Social Security Card in Nebraska

After successfully executing a name change by marriage, it is vital to update social security information and obtain a new Social Security card. To do this, the individual with the new name must notify the Social Security Administration by completing Form SS-5 and filing it in person or via mail. An official name change record (such as a certified marriage certificate), a current driver's license (proof of identity), and a U.S. passport (proof of citizenship) will be required to process the update in the SSA office.

Note that this process is entirely free, and the SSA does not accept photocopies or faxes. Only the original documents or certified copies are accepted.

After processing the information provided in the forms and documents, the SSA will send a new Social Security card via mail in about two weeks. This new card will have the updated name, but the social security number will remain the same. This makes the legal name change official.

How to Get a New Driver's License in Nebraska

Like obtaining a new Social Security card, the individual must inform the state DMV of the new legal name by updating a driver's license. First, the concerned party must complete the Nebraska Application for Revision form and take it to the nearest DMV office. In addition, they must bring the following:

After processing and paying the required fees, the County Treasurer or Driver License Service Center will issue a 30-day receipt. Finally, within 14 days, other documents, including the new license, permit, or state-issued ID card, will be mailed to its owner. If, after 20 days, the card owner is yet to receive the new license, the party can contact the center at (402) 471-3861

How to Update Your Insurance Information in Nebraska

When an individual with an active insurance plan alters his/her name, it is essential to inform the insurance company of the development. Initiating the name change process here depends on the types of insurance the individual has and the company's policies.

Regardless of varying name alteration methods, most insurance companies will request the following documents for an update:

  • A letter or form requesting the update
  • Photo ID
  • A copy of the active policy
  • Legal name change document

Where Do I Go to Change My Last Name in Nebraska?

All requests for adult name change asides from marriage are initiated by petitioning the district court where the petitioner resides. This is applicable for minors as well, but if the name change is for a child under nineteen (19) years old, their parents must file the petition on their behalf. The instructions and forms for this name change process are available on the Judicial Branch's website.

Name changes via Divorce Proceedings

Nebraska allows adult individuals to restore their former names when getting divorced. All that is needed is a request to assume a previous name in the petition for marriage dissolution. Also, they must provide the court with evidence of their former names, such as a birth certificate. When the divorce is complete, they will obtain a divorce certificate that can be used to prove a name change.

Name Changes without Marriage or Divorce

Without marriage or divorce proceedings, adults who want to alter their names must petition the court. However, they must meet the following requirements:

  • The petitioner must be at least nineteen (19) years of age.
  • The individual must be a resident of Nebraska and the county where they are filing for at least one (1) year.

Filing the petition

Individuals that meet the above requirements can file their name change requests at the county's District Court where they reside. The petition must have the individual's personal information, proposed name, and reason for requesting the name change. It is recommended that the petitioner contact the clerk's office before filing to verify the procedure for a Name Change Petition. After filing and paying the applicable court fees, the court clerk will assign a judge to the case and give the petitioner the bailiff's contact, who will schedule the court date and assign a case number.

Publishing the petition

When the bailiff assigns a case number, the petitioner must fill out the Legal Notice of Name Change (D.C. 6-9-2) form. This document acts as a public notice of the individual's name change. It must be published at least once weekly for four consecutive weeks in a local newspaper. After publication, the local newspaper will provide an affidavit of publication that must be filed with the court.

Court hearing

Before the court hearing, the petitioner must obtain and fill out the Decree of Name Change (D.C. 6-9-3). The individual must leave the date and signature fields blank for the judge's signature if the name change is approved. If the petitioner meets all requirements and there are no public objections to the name change request, the petition may be granted without a trial. If a hearing is required, the individual must attend and testify before the court by making the declarations outlined in the Name Change Hearing Instructions (D.C. 6-9a). Afterward, the judge will sign and date the decree of name change to authorize the name change.

Name changes for minors

Any adult Nebraska resident with a child in their custody controls the process of changing the minor's first, middle, or last name. However, they must fulfill the following criteria:

  • They must be the child's parent or legal custodian
  • Both the adult petitioner and the child must have been state and county residents for at least one (1) year
  • The adult must be at least nineteen (19) years old
  • The child must be less than nineteen (19) years old
  • The child's parents must consent to the name change

The filing process is similar to the name change process for adults. But in this case, the petitioner must fill out the Petition for Name Change of a Minor Child and submit it to the Clerk of District Court. Each district in Nebraska may have different rules and fees that apply to name changes for minors. Therefore, it is necessary to check what rules, procedures, and fees apply in that county before filing.

Because a parent's or legal consent is essential to this process, it is imperative to obtain consent before filing. The petitioner has to provide a completed and signed Consent for the Name Change of a Minor Child to the court. This document must be signed with a notary public present. Suppose the child has a non-custodial parent who has not given their consent to the name change process. In that case, the petitioner must complete the Notice to Parent in addition to all other forms and documents. This form must be sent to the non-custodial parent by certified mail within five (5) days of the notice being published.

When the judge eventually approves the petition and signs the decree of a name change, the petitioner must obtain certified copies of the signed order from the clerk. The decree is the child's proof of name change.

How to Update Information With Nebraska Mortgage and Utility Companies

Mortgages in Nebraska are loans from financial institutions to specific individuals. Unlike other name change processes that might involve simply informing a lender of a name change, individuals must change the name on the property deed. Generally, any change in ownership, such as altering property owners' names, will require that a new deed be recorded. The individual may contact the recorder of deeds in the county where the property is located or hire a solicitor to update their information.

Also, after a name change, an individual must update the information on the mortgage thus:

  • Obtain the legal change of name document.
  • Contact the institution and request information about the process.
  • Visit the company in person or obtain a name change kit from the lender, complete the documents, and send it back via mail.

The methods used to update information on a utility bill may vary depending on the utility and the provider. As a result, individuals who have changed their names and want to switch a gas or electric bill must contact their utility service provider/company. Most companies allow clients to make such changes online via their websites. If that is unavailable, the party can simply call the company's customer service number or send a written request. Nevertheless, the individual must provide all information necessary for the name change, which may include:

  • A current address.
  • The preferred date to have the bill switched to a new name.
  • Mailing address, if different from a street address.
  • The new name.
  • Social security number.
  • If applicable, the name of a spouse or roommate to be included on the bill.

What Documents Do I Need to Change My Name After Marriage?

The main document required to change one's name after marriage in Nebraska is a marriage certificate. It is a government-issued document that verifies that the two individuals named on the certificate have satisfied all requirements and are legally married. The certificate is not obtainable without first applying for a marriage license that authorizes the named couple to get married. The documents and information needed to obtain the license from any county clerk's office in the state include:

  • A marriage license application.
  • A signed Minor Consent Form (PDF) if either applicant is not up to 19 years. It must be signed by the applicant's father, mother, legal guardian, or custodian.
  • Proof of identity and age: A valid driver's license, state-issued photo I.D., or certified copy of a birth certificate.
  • Social security numbers of both applicants.
  • Names of the couple's parents and their birthplaces. It must include the mother's maiden name.

How to Get Certified Copies of Your Marriage License in Nebraska

All things being equal, when a marriage ceremony is concluded in Nebraska, the named couple are presented with certified copies of their marriage licenses. If there are any delays, they can always contact the appropriate office for assistance. Notwithstanding, all marriage licenses obtained in Nebraska are public records. As a result, they may be acquired by either party named on the certificate or other individuals entitled by law. The Vital Records Office maintains a register of all marriages in the state since 1909. For certificates before 1909, inquirers can contact the county clerks where the marriage licenses were issued.

Interested individuals can make a request for a marriage certificate from the vital records office online, by mail, or in person. First, they must fill out an Application For Certified Copy Of Marriage Certificate form. This can be sent to the office by mail along with:

  • A copy of a valid photo I.D
  • A stamped self-addressed envelope, and
  • A $16 fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Vital Records Office.

Mailing address

Vital Records Office
Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 95065
Lincoln, NE 68509-5065

For in-person requests, the inquirer must complete an Application For Certified Copy Of Marriage Certificate form, bring a valid photo I.D., and the complete payment fee (cash is acceptable for requests made in person) to the address below:

Office of Vital Records
1033 O Street
Suite 130
Lincoln, NE 68508-3621

How to Get a New Passport in Nebraska

A passport is an important travel document used to verify an individual's citizenship, especially when traveling abroad. Therefore, it is essential to update this document because the old passport becomes invalid when an individual changes the name on a Social Security card. The U.S. Department of State provides instructions on how passport owners can carry out a name change and obtain a new passport.

To initiate the process, the applicant must provide a completed application form for passport correction, passport renewal, or a new passport, depending on their current passport status. While the application forms for passport correction and renewal may be sent via mail, the application form for a new passport must be submitted in person to the closest Passport Acceptance Facility. The applicant must provide a current passport, legal name change document, and colored passport photograph for renewals and corrections. In contrast, when demanding a new passport, the party must provide the following:

  • Proof of identity and citizenship with photocopies
  • The legal name change document
  • A color passport photo

How to Change Your Name on Bank Accounts in Nebraska

After making a new name official with a legal name change document, new Social Security card, and new driver's license, it is easy to change or update the names attached to all financial accounts, credit/debit cards, and checkbooks. Various financial institutions have specific methods for updating such information. Hence, it is recommended that the concerned party contact the bank in advance to identify the associated steps and requirements.

When the update is made, it is also advisable that the individual send their employer and other relevant agencies the updated bank information to avoid mistakes and delays.

How Long Does It Take to Change Your Name in Nebraska After Marriage?

In Nebraska, there are no waiting periods for issuing marriage licenses and marriage certificates. As a result, if an individual initiates a name change when applying for their marriage license, it becomes official immediately after the ceremony, when the county clerk receives the signed marriage license and issues a marriage certificate.

How Long Does It Take to Change Your Name in Nebraska?

An individual's new name becomes official after receiving a legal name change document, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, and court order. However, the official name does not automatically show up on government databases. As a result, an individual must visit all relevant public and private agencies to update their name. For example, Nebraska statutes require name changes to be completed on Social Security cards, licenses, permits, or ID within 60 days of the name change. On completing these updates, the new name becomes official and recognized across the board.